- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (evenly sized)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup almond flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all natural shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup low-sugar organic marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray. (I used avocado oil or olive oil spray)
- In a large saucepan, cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Stir Italian seasoning into cooked quinoa, set aside.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Working in small batches, dredge chicken first in flour, dip into eggs, then dredge in quinoa mixture, pressing slightly to coat each breast.
- Place chicken onto the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown, and cooked through.
- Top with cheeses (optional) and marinara. Place into oven and bake until cheeses have melted, about 3-4 additional minutes.
- Serve immediately over spiralized zucchini noodles (I toss my zucchini in a hot skillet with a touch of olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for about 3 minutes before serving)
- Garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes for a little kick!